Thursday, February 27, 2014

Let's talk about it!!

It's something we are all familiar with... Something doesn't go our way... Something happens that makes us feel like the world is ending, and we sink into despair. We want to cry, scream, and shout. If you are lucky, you have someone that loves you, someone that wants to make sure you are okay, and they tell you, don't hold it in... Talk about your feelings. They remind you how unhealthy it is to surpress your feelings. Don't bottle it up.

There are even people who, for a living, talk to people about their feelings. Physiciatrist spend hours every day helping people learn how to work through their problems and their emotions. 

I know sometimes I get upset over things that don't exactly make a lot of sense.. And even though I'm being a little irrational, I still need to talk through it, and get my feelings off my chest... Right friends!? We all do it! (Sorry honey... I can't help it)

Because I can (easily) relate.. I have to admit, it breaks my heart a little when I hear adult brushing off their child's feelings... Why is it, that we spend our adult life learning how to get things off our chest, and trying not to bottle up our feelings, but yet we tell, no, we TEACH our kids to ignore their feelings! Too often we say "you're okay" "stop crying, it didn't hurt" or "that's enough, that is nothing to be upset over". 

I know that I sometime catch myself trying to comfort Brielle with hugs and sympathetic "it's okay's", but maybe to her, at the moment, it's not okay... Maybe because I won't let her eat the cat food, or she hit her head on the table, even though it really didn't seem hard, maybe to her, she feels like her world is ending. Instead of saying "it's okay, you're fine", maybe I should just hug her, and tell her I'm sorry and I love her... I know that's how I would want my loved ones to treat me when I was upset.




No comments:

Post a Comment